Political and Miscellaneous Articles by: Dennis L. Siluk

Here are Dennis' views on the political scene, along with other issues, be looking for them in the future, they will be coming off and on; along with guest articles, for those who wish to share their opinions, simply email Dennis at dlsiluk@msn.com, and he will select those he likes and put them on his site. see site: http://dennissiluk.tripod.com

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Goodbye Big John Updike

Goodbye Big John (a bad tribute for John Updike)

Farewell John Updike, man of the day, sorry to here you pass away, but at 76-years old, you are old white and gray, what can I say… (the poem part, now the article)

…and he wrote a lot, so he was happy.
Now for my two-cents, on the matter of his writing and I read a lot, perhaps several hours a day, everyday of the week, in libraries, and bookstores, and I saw John’s books day after day, year after year, decade after decade. And ever so often I’d pick one up, of his newer books, or one of his old ones I hadn’t examined yet, see I said examined, and there is a purpose to that word, because overtime I picked up a lot of his books, sat down to read them, chapter after chapter, I was glad I never invested in one though, to the point of brining it up to the teller, and paying hard earned cash for, they never interested me beyond the second or third chapters (which were always dull); and when I skimmed the book, seeing if a middle chapter was perhaps hiding something of value, I’d find to my recollection, nothing. The first chapters were never good, and therefore I shouldn’t have expected the other ones to be any better, but I was hoping for a miracle, I think.
I know he had to make a living, so he put his sexuality stuff in there, and it sold. Too many authors nowadays sell their soul for a few bucks. He was no different. He even won some prizes, which are becoming more for popularity, than for good writing.
I do have to acknowledge he was a prolific writer, but then, many people are obsessed with one thing or another, and he was with writing. He will be quickly forgotten, because he has never written anything worth remembering: sorry to say, yes he wasted all those years.
John Kerry, honors him today, as does his home state, not sure what for though.
Norman Mailer, has criticized him in the past, and I would consider Norman a much more attractive writer than John by far. So those who are saying: I got a sour mouth, so does Mailer if indeed anyone is saying that.
My idea of writing, just to write, is like sleeping just to sleep, or eating just to eat. I eat when I’m hungry, I sleep when I’m tired, and I write, when I got something worth saying, and I have a lot to say. The End.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home